Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week 6

The food is so beautiful!
  • Basil
  • Beets
  • Carrots (alas, I am allergic to these, I miss eating carrots)
  • Cucumber
  • Garlic scapes
  • Lettuce
  • Radishes
  • Sugar snap peas (I just eat these like carrots since I can't eat the carrots)

RECIPES:
Garlic Scape Pesto
- Garlic scapes
Roasted Beet Wedges
- Beets
Radish and Sesame Soy Noodle Salad
- Radishes, cucumber
Tzatziki Sauce
- Cucumber
Five-Spice Shrimp & Vegetable Packets
- Sugar snap peas
Otsu from "Super Natural Cooking" by Heidi Swanson (page 62)
- Cucumber
Garlic Scape Soup from "Super Natural Cooking" by Heidi Swanson (page 146)
- Garlic scapes
Big Rig Pasta (recipe below)
- Basil

Big Rig Pasta
My recreation of my favorite pasta dish from Oregano’s in Tucson, AZ.

1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
2 cloves of chopped garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup sliced fresh basil
1 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, deseeded and chopped (depends how spicy you want it!)
Salt to taste
1 cup heavy cream (or soy milk)
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
Fresh parmesan cheese

Heat butter/oil in skillet over med heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent. Add basil and tomatoes and cook 3-4 min. Add chipotle peppers and cook 3 more minutes. Add salt to taste. Transfer contents of skillet to food processor. Combine cream/soy milk with adobo sauce. Add to food processor and puree. Toss with rigatoni pasta and top with fresh parmesan cheese and fresh basil!


A delicious CSA dinner with bread from Uprise Bakery!

14 comments:

  1. THIS IS IT!!! This is Oregano's Big Rig Pasta. I made with my wife for her mother's b-day. A HIT!!! The secret is out. MWA-HA-HA. However, I doubled the recipe and felt that 2 cups of cream was a little overkill. I stopped at about a cup and a quarter for a double batch. The Big Rig, at least here in Tempe, is still on the redder side. Either way, its awesome! thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! So glad you love it - it's my favorite pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive never cooked with chipotle pepers or adobo sauce, can you find them at any grocery? or do i need to go somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the late reply, I've been in India! Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are in most grocery stores usually in the Mexican/international aisle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if you know Roussels is listing your recipe on her blog under Roussels Kitchen and she is not giving you any credit. I feel that is not right Here is her site
    http://rousselkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/02/oreganos-big-rig-pasta.html
    Thanks for the recipe Linsey I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much sauce does the big rig recipe make? Enough for 2+? Or do I need to double?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you use the Adobo sauce that comes in witht the Chipotle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would say this recipe feeds 4-6 people depending on your serving sizes. And yes - the adobo sauce that comes with the chipotle peppers is exactly what to use! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited I came across this! I've moved to Florida and there isn't an Oregano's here......the Big Rig is my absolute favorite, so I'm going to attempt this recipe! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could recreate a recipe by just tasting the dish and had made this several times. I was telling one of the employees of the Oregano's kitchen this while discussing he agreed and added the chianti wine which I was missing so I was able to get pretty much all the ingredients although I was not given the quantities :). The original recipe includes chianti wine and their marinara sauce. Also the chipotle is a concentrate used in restaurans such as Minor's chipotle concentrate and therefore giving the dish chipotle flavor without been too spicy but with lots of smoky flavor

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you use the juices along with the tomatoes from the can?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That appears to be excellent however i am still not too sure that I like it. At any rate will look far more into it and decide personally! Thai Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete